Ozlilly's musings...


Welcome to Speising

I had to line up for a Covid test. That took about half an hour. I thought since my appointment was at seven that I would be fast, one of the first and just rushed through.

The lady doing the tests came out after the last patient and saw the long line of us all waiting and realised she needs to work faster. She suggested we all get our e-cards ready. It was a nasal swab. You would think I was used to it by now. I do not know how many I’ve had with all my hospital and rehab clinic visits. It felt like she went deeper and was quite uncomfortable but just for a few seconds.
Next, I had to wait for the Anaesthesiologist. Room 17 and 18. One lady came out of one of the rooms at 17. I knocked and entered the other and it was empty. I went to sit outside and figured I just need to wait. I had been given a sheet with a “flight plan” of my stations to visit before returning to start.
At #1 I had to line up and wait, at #2 I sat down around seven thirty-five and observed a lady who I assumed was a doctor arrive around eight-fifteen. She asked whether I or the other man waiting was there first and said she needs to turn the computer on. She went into room 18 and shortly afterwards there was a name on the screen and the gentleman opposite me went in. Later my name appeared for room 17 where I discovered an assistant who had twice asked me my name while I waited outside. On the other desk was Dr Lxxvxxxci, or something like that. It sounded Polish. I was impressed they really did go through the sheets of information before asking me to sign them. He said I could watch videos while they operated as I again agreed to an epidural.
Then #3 was the radiology. I had to ring the bell. They took the heart and lung x-rays which I had with me, made copies and returned them. Then I waited to be called in for them to take the x-rays of the knee. I had to get undressed twice as they did two sets and sent me out for a few minutes in between. The second set was lying on a table with my legs draped over a stand with the knees bent.
Next #4 was the preparation medical exam. The doctor asked me whether I preferred English and I said German was okay, but he continued in English. As I recognized a clear English accent my curiosity got the better of me and I wanted to know where he learnt English or where he was from.
He said I can expect it to last around twenty years. This always depends on circumstances and can vary up and down. He also mentioned the two percent who get infections and need to be reoperated or have other complications. I do believe they have a very high success rate in Speising.
So, #5 was back to the pre-operation admissions office. They sent me back #6 for a second test at the Covid testing station due to my rehabilitation within recent times. I was tested for hospital bacteria as well as another Covid test.

About the author 

Lilly Gundacker

Lilly Gundacker is an Australian living in Austria, now in Vienna. With a loving husband and gifted adult children' she excels at Communication, Family, Marriage and is an Organizational expert. As a retired International Civil Servant and dedicated Unificationist she motivates, inspires, engages, and makes a difference!

Notify of

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

1 Comment
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

[…] the trams were empty and the assistant said it would be okay to take public transport home. See my Gory Details Finally, after a fifteen-minute wait I was released and eventually found a spot near the official […]

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}

Follow Lilly on FaceBook here

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x